US-Backed Militias Face Second ISIS Counter Attack: Official

Beirut: Syrian militias backed by US-led air strikes have repelled a second ISIS counter attack in 24 hours near a city being targeted in a major offensive against the jihadist group, an official and a monitoring group said on Monday. The Syria Democratic Forces (SDF) alliance grouping Kurdish and Arab fighters launched an offensive last month to capture the city of Manbij from ISIS, part of an operation aimed at dislodging the group from the border with Turkey. ISIS, seeking to break a siege on Manbij, counter attacked on three fronts around the city on Saturday, followed by a further counter attack over Sunday night and in the early hours of Monday, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights and an SDF official said. Both assaults had been repelled, they said. "Dozens of air strikes repelled (ISIS forces)," Rami Abdulrahman, director of the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, said. "The SDF has made no progress in Manbij for 10 days," he said, noting that progress had been slow in part because ISIS terrorists The US-backed campaign in northern Syria aims to drive ISIS away from its last foothold at the border with Turkey. Syrian government forces, backed by Russia, are waging a separate campaign against the jihadists in the same area. The United States has ruled out cooperating with Damascus in the war against ISIS .
Category: 
Rating : 
No votes yet
Story Type: 
Article

US-Backed Militias Face Second ISIS Counter Attack: Official 0

04 July 2016Submitted by Author

Beirut: Syrian militias backed by US-led air strikes have repelled a second ISIS counter attack in 24 hours near a city being targeted in a major offensive against the jihadist group, an official and a monitoring group said on Monday. The Syria Democratic Forces (SDF) alliance grouping Kurdish and Arab fighters launched an offensive last month to capture the city of Manbij from ISIS, part of an operation aimed at dislodging the group from the border with Turkey. ISIS, seeking to break a siege on Manbij, counter attacked on three fronts around the city on Saturday, followed by a further counter attack over Sunday night and in the early hours of Monday, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights and an SDF official said. Both assaults had been repelled, they said. "Dozens of air strikes repelled (ISIS forces)," Rami Abdulrahman, director of the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, said. "The SDF has made no progress in Manbij for 10 days," he said, noting that progress had been slow in part because ISIS terrorists The US-backed campaign in northern Syria aims to drive ISIS away from its last foothold at the border with Turkey. Syrian government forces, backed by Russia, are waging a separate campaign against the jihadists in the same area. The United States has ruled out cooperating with Damascus in the war against ISIS .

Click here to post comments

Or log in with...